Sunday, January 31, 2021

Call It Courage by Armstrong Sperry

This book was a pretty standard survival-on-an-island book. After reading Robinson Crusoe and The Island of the Blue Dolphins, I feel like it's easy to recognize the genre and what's going to happen in these books. The thing I really didn't like about this was that the whole plot happened because the boy was being shamed and forced out of the village for being afraid of the sea, when his fear was very natural based on a traumatizing experience he had as a toddler when he was lost on the sea with his mom and his mom died. I felt like the message of this book was super negative about fear, and didn't actually teach any positive ways to deal with fear or respond to it. I did like how he overcame his fear and worked on it. But I probably wouldn't have my boys read this because I wouldn't want them to internalize that overall message--although they would be excited about his achievements and survival on the island. The best thing about this book was that it was less than two hours long as an audiobook.

No comments:

Post a Comment