Wednesday, January 27, 2021

The House in the Cerulean Sea by T. J. Klune

I really enjoyed 95% of this book. I thought the house and the children were just adorable and Klune's characterization for each child was very distinctive and somehow made you care about them. It made it easy to see why Linus Baker couldn't help but care for them. I also liked Linus's character and how he was so straight-laced and serious, but deep down cared about other people. I just felt like Linus's ability to say everything perfectly whenever he needed to help a child was almost unbelievable and it was annoying how perfectly everything went. I was also annoyed that Zoe was there making the food for this house of orphans--like Arthur would not have been able to do that, so they needed to have a woman there to provide their meals. And it was extremely unrealistic to me how at the end of the book, they are excited to bring in another child without taking any second to pause and think about how hard that will be for them. Clearly the author has never had a home full of six children. But, of course, these were very minor qualms and it overall was delightful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment