Saturday, January 30, 2021

I, Juan de Pareja by Elizabeth Borton de Trevino

This is one of the Newberys that I actually remember reading as a kid, and one that I really liked. I actually enjoyed it even more this time, as an adult, because of the historical aspect of this historical fictionalized biography. I actually looked up the portraits and paintings that Juan de Pareja talked about during the book, and it was so interesting to see what he actually looked like and to read what was historical fact and what was the author's interpretation. I feel like my main issue with this book was the slavery aspect of it, and that Juan de Pareja was just this happy, accepting slave who didn't mind being enslaved. Maybe that's accurate. It just feels so inauthentic in this day and time. But I loved reading about the art in this book, and about the way paintings were created in that time period. This was a book worth reading for all of that information and that exposure to the art world in that time period.

No comments:

Post a Comment