Monday, June 5, 2017

Book #52: Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes

Rhimes is the creator of some of TV's most popular shows, including Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, and How to Get Away with Murder (only one of which I've ever watched--I went through a few years of Grey's Anatomy while I was in college, but lost interest after a while. I can't believe that it's still on the air, in its 13th season). She is this total powerhouse writer and producer, and it's all very exciting because she is not just a woman, but she is black. (She writes about this being a FOD--First, Only, Different--and how she is always having to answer questions about what it's like being an African American woman in the TV world, etc., and how pointless that discussion is.) This book isn't about that, though--it's about how she decided to stop saying no to things and to enrich her life by saying yes when people asked her to do things to expand her comfort zone. She went from being unhappy and extremely introverted to being in a much better, much more comfortable place. She began accepting invitations to be on TV shows and even to give a commencement speech at her alma mater, Dartmouth. But she also began to say yes to more intangible things that made her life better--like playing more with her kids, and taking care of her body, and not getting married (which she was engaged to do but really deep down did not want to do).

I really loved Rhime's writing style. She is funny (of course) and elegant, and knows how to write to draw out emotions and emphasize what she's trying to say (like you'd expect for a TV writer). It was really interesting learning about her life and job and everything. The section where she talked about not wanting to get married, and about being a working mom, was challenging to me--which she expected. She is challenging the social mores that we all live by (she is a single mom to three girls whom she adopted), and it was interesting and, if I'm being totally honest, slightly uncomfortable to read her defense of those decisions. I logically think she should be able to do what she wants in those areas, but I emotionally wanted her to want the same things as I (and most people do). But she obviously was very happy with her decisions, and I liked being stretched a little bit hearing her perspective. I don't want to think that everyone has to do the same thing I do. You need to be familiar with people of all shapes, sizes, and thought patterns to not get stuck in a rut, and I am shockingly associated with mostly people who do the same thing I do. Thank you to Shonda Rhimes for her eloquently expressed thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment