Sunday, June 11, 2017

Book #55: Roots and Sky by Christie Purifoy

I don't remember what drew me to this book, but it's been on my Goodreads for the last year. I actually really enjoyed it though. It was a memoir about Purifoy's first year living in her new 200-year-old farmhouse that she and her family bought and are renovating together. It's also a very Christian recollection; she incorporates scriptures from the Bible into much of her reminiscing. I'll be honest--I kind of skimmed a lot of the Christian/spiritual stuff (although of course I like it). But the thing that I really liked about this book was her discussions about her home and her gardening and her new baby. She had a baby just a few weeks after moving into her new home, and reading about her baby felt very true to life (like my life right now). And she was a big gardener--she and her husband planted new gardens and built planters and planted vegetables and all her thoughts and descriptions of what they were doing was so interesting and intoxicating to me. It made me want to jump in and do the same. I would LOVE to do a garden here someday. SOMEDAY. Maybe next year. It all sounds so intimidating because I don't know even where to start, but I am determined now to try (since we won't have a new baby next spring like we have the last two of three years).

No comments:

Post a Comment