Monday, June 19, 2017

Books #61-62: Toy Dance Party and Toys Come Home by Emily Jenkins

 I read the first book in this trilogy, Toys Go Out, with Dane a month or so ago, and we just finished reading the third one today (I waited to review the second one with this one since they are both so similar). This series is just so cute. Dane really got into the stories and loved hearing about the little antics that StingRay, Lumphy, and Plastic got up to. Toy Dance Party is the second book in the series, and is just further adventures of the three toys, but the third book, Toys Come Home, is actually a prequel about when the toys first came to live at The Girl's home. I thought both books were fun and I loved reading them out loud with Dane. I think I enjoyed Toys Come Home more because the chapters were each a bit shorter--some of them in Toy Dance Party got so long (especially when you're reading aloud). I liked how these stories weren't talking down to the kids too much either--a lot of the vocabulary is pretty advanced and Dane all week has randomly come up to me asking questions about words I know I read earlier out of these chapters. The funniest one was when we were out to dinner with some of Tommy's friends from work and in the middle of dinner Dane says, "Dad, what's an axe murderer?" (One of the toys was saying they were scared there were ghosts and axe murderers in the basement, ha!) All in all, definitely worth the reads and these are books I will want to read later with each of my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment