Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Book #58: Kat, Incorrigible by Stephanie Burgis

This book was a cute, easy-to-read YA novel set in Regency times about a twelve-year-old girl (much younger than the age you usually read about in this era) who gets involved in some magical stuff. Kat, the heroine of the story, is a funny tween who accidentally gets sucked into her mother's old magical heirlooms and learns that she has some of her mother's old magical powers. She decides to try to use them to save her sister from a desirable match to an old and supposedly dangerous guy--but she ends up having to fight interference from a number of different sources and makes a bunch of mistakes along the way.

I liked the whimsical style of this book, and Kat's cute and funny character. I thought that since she was only 12, it worked really well. Sometimes all those books about young adult women who are sassy and strong-willed and say what's on their mind feel kind of forced--but I thought that Kat as a twelve-year-old version of those things was really believable (since I know plenty of tweens who act like that and think like that, including myself). Obviously the book wasn't perfect (I thought Kat created a lot of her own problems and it never really resolved fully for me) but it was a quick, fun read in the Regency era--what's not to like?

No comments:

Post a Comment