Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Book #101: The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny

I am really enjoying this Inspector Gamache series of books. It's awesome that our library has most of them as audiobooks, because I couldn't commit to a series of thirteen books to read, but I'm always searching for books to listen to since not everything is on audio and now I have a huge series to fill up my workout time.

In this book, another murder happens in Three Pines. (Sidenote: isn't this unlikely, that the murders keep happening in this tiny, so-called peaceful village? The murders per capita rate must be extremely high compared to the rest of Canada! But this is where the suspension of disbelief is important. That doesn't bother me enough to detract from my enjoyment of the series.) This one happens during a seance the villagers hold at the old, haunted Hadley house--one of the group falls dead from a heart attack caused by fright during the seance. It comes out later that the heart attack was caused by a drug slipped to the murdered woman--and who did it? Inspector Gamache figures it out again, with his trademark intuitive, emotion-sensitive style. But this book is also focused on the betrayals headed towards the unsuspecting Gamache by his best friend. The reader knows what is happening, but Gamache has no idea who is leaking terrible stories about him and his family to the press, and it's torturous to watch as it unfolds. I'm curious to know what will happen for him in the next book, since the climax of the story involves this coming to light.

Definitely a fun book to listen to, and Penny has a huge talent of telling a story and creating these characters I love, who seem real and have personalities of their own. I'm looking forward to the next one soon too.

No comments:

Post a Comment