Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Book #105: The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emma Orczy

It's so sad to me that I haven't read this book in the whole time I've been keeping this blog! Same thing with To Kill a Mockingbird. These books are such classics and are some of my very favorites, but I have been reading so many new books the last few years and not as much re-reading, that I am missing out on some joy of these beloved books that I have read so, so many times before now. But, I pulled it out yesterday or the day before and got it started, and just thoroughly enjoyed this book. I don't think I love it mostly because of the nostalgic factor--we spent HOURS singing the songs to The Scarlet Pimpernel musical that we saw when I was maybe twelve--it's just a really excellent story. The romantic factor of a secret identity of a man saving people's lives with no benefit to himself--it's just awesome. And I love how you get to see most of it through Marguerite's eyes and get to see her transformation. Sure, maybe her newfound love for her husband comes on a little strong and out of nowhere, and I'm always slightly annoyed by how dainty and alluring and perfect and astoundingly beautiful women in fiction of this era are, but it fits along with the times and it's not terrible. Marguerite is actually the heroine of the story and shows how tough she is by trying to save her husband (although walking for a few miles is enough to render her incapacitated and bloody-footed... mm-hmm).

TOTALLY love this book. I just wish I could find a version on the stage of it these days so I can relive the amazingness of the musical. We LOVED it for a few years at my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment