Saturday, October 7, 2017

Book #103: My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella

Could anything be easier to read and lighter than Sophie Kinsella? I am pretty sure the answer is no. I read a few of her Shopaholic books when I was in high school and then a few other ones through the years, but I'd heard this one was cute and thought it would be a great light audiobook to listen to, and it was. Kinsella is great at creating relatable, slightly hilarious main characters, and this book is no exception. This book is about Katie Brenner, who works in London at a branding agency, and her attempts to create a perfect life for herself through her Instagram photos. But when she gets fired from her job and moves home to the country to help her dad start up a glamping site, she begins to question a lot of things about her decisions.

I thought this book was super contemporary--as in, it definitely seems very 2017. The Instagram perfect life is a major theme in the story--and that's such an everyday issue. And there was a ton about glamping too. I wonder how much of this book may seem outdated in a few years--but obviously that's not an issue now. I liked this one, although after a while I was wishing I could have just been reading it instead of listening to it, because I could have powered through this book in two hours instead of having to listen for ten. I liked how Katie's relationship with her boss Demeter changes over the course of the book--although it seems surprising how close they were at the end--and of course the romance was cute too--although I was less interested in the romance in this book, since it definitely seemed secondary to the storyline of Katie's job and her wrestling with what she wants to do.

This was cute, fun, not too long--definitely a fun chick lit read. Obviously a little different from The Brothers Karamazov.

No comments:

Post a Comment