Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Book #104: Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

I read this book because when I was looking at the Goodreads page for My Not So Perfect Life I saw this book cover as another book Kinsella had written and it was like a deja vu bomb went off in my head. I used to have this book--when I was in high school--and I totally remembered reading it and enjoying it and vividly remembered the cover. But I had no memory of what was actually in the book. Our library had an e-copy so I checked it out and enjoyed this walk down memory lane.

In this book, Emma Corrigan is on her very first business trip and the plane ride home has terrible turbulence--so terrible she's convinced they're all going to die. So in her panic she begins spilling out all her secrets to the man sitting next to her on the plane, which ends up being a problem when he shows up at her work the next day as her boss, the owner of the company there for a visit. Ahh! There's the inevitable romance and all sorts of inexplicable awkward situations that I feel like are pretty common to Kinsella's novels, but it was definitely a fun read. It took only two hours, so I mean, what is there to complain about a book that you can read that quickly and check off the list with so little energy? Ha!

Fair warning: Kinsella loves the f-word and other swearing, and there's a little bit of sex, but part of me thinks it's because she's British and the whole cultural difference in what curse words are appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment