Thursday, May 16, 2019

Daughters in My Kingdom: The History and Work of Relief Society

I read this book before, around when it came out, but maybe I didn't read it all and I'm sure I didn't read it all at once. I decided to read it this time because I just got called into the Relief Society Presidency in my ward, and I wanted to think about the bigger picture. I loved reading about the church history aspects of this book, particularly the chapters after they arrived in Utah and the next century and a half. It was so interesting reading about what the Relief Society sisters did in the years of church history that we don't talk much about... it seems like we only talk about Nauvoo and being pioneers, but once they make it to Utah I hardly know anything about what they did. I liked how they mentioned/discussed all of the past Relief Society presidents, and talked about what Relief Society has done over the years and how it has changed.

I didn't love several of the chapters, especially the one about women in the home. There was a quote about how women are homemakers and specifically talked about how that meant sewing and cleaning, etc... Not exactly the most exciting or empowering of quotes. But I felt like I got the idea out of this book that we need to do more service to get back to our Relief Society roots, and we need to do more with helping people be prepared for emergencies. I also think we need to study more of our past Relief Society leaders' words and thoughts. I hope we are able to do some of these things in our Relief Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment