Sunday, May 19, 2019

Hourglass by Dani Shapiro

I've never read anything by Shapiro before, and I don't know anything about her. But this book was a beautiful collection of short tidbits about her life and her marriage and her thoughts and fears and memories with her husband. She contemplates the way that time seems to constrict and change as she gets older, and how she remembers things that happened a long time ago, but how her memories have changed or remained the same, and how her thoughts on marriage and her experience with her marriage have evolved. She is a very deliberate writer, with some beautiful passages and clearly chosen words, and I really loved many of her thoughts. I feel like I could ponder them for a while and get a lot out of them.

I feel like this blog post is WOEFULLY short and terribly unrepresentative of this book, which is beautifully written and really poignant at times. But I am tired and ready for bed, and not feeling like writing something super analytical right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment