Friday, May 31, 2019

The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels by Ree Drummond

This was another random audiobook choice, which I chose because I have liked Pioneer Woman's recipes for years, and I used to read her blog (until I got tired of her blog posts that took 15 minutes to scroll through because she takes pictures of every. single. step. of each recipe). This was her story about how she met her husband, a rancher, and basically how she became the Pioneer Woman. I liked it at first, and thought it was a cute story. But the longer the story went on, the more annoying it got--her obsession with her husband and her descriptions of his huge muscles and how weak her knees got when they were together got really old after a while. Literally every chapter, every time she mentioned his voice or his appearance or anything about him, she gushed on and on about how amazing he was and how she couldn't control herself around him. It got kind of old after a while. She also started to seem like she was really dependent on him, and said things like he was her "savior," and just let him make all the decisions like how many kids they were going to have, etc. She didn't really give Marlboro Man a personality (she never even said his name--he was always Marlboro Man, every time), and it stopped feeling real. It got kind of weird to me and I got kind of bored with it by the end. But the first half was cute, and I think it would be fun to write something similar about our relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment