Sunday, May 26, 2019

Navigating Early by Claire Vanderpool

I wasn't super excited about reading this one, because it was written by the same author as Moon Over Manifest and I didn't love that one. But we were reading it for my book club for the month. I almost skipped it altogether, but I read another good review about it, and decided to just go for it--and I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I did Moon Over Manifest, although it took me almost 3/4 of the book for me to really get engaged in the story. I would probably not have stuck with it for that long if it hadn't been for a book club meeting, but I am glad I did, because once I finally got into the story, I enjoyed it. This story requires a little more-than-usual suspension of disbelief--it's almost like a little bit of fantasy mixed in with this fiction story. Like, 1% fantasy, where the story somehow magically follows this story that Early Auden makes up in his head to explain the number pi. I honestly didn't really get the connection to pi in this story, and enjoyed that the least--but I liked the adventure that Early and Jack go on, and how they meet all sorts of people and explore all over. It almost reminded me of the Odyssey, with different adventures happening all along their journey that they had to go through before going home.

I don't know, but maybe the format changed how I experienced this book. I might have liked it better because I was listening to it, and that made me slow down and enjoy it instead of trying to speed through it like I might have while reading it. All in all, I am glad I finished this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment