Sunday, March 22, 2020

Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli

It was funny how, as I read this, certain things stood out to me that I didn't know I remembered. Like, when Maniac meets Amanda for the first time, and you find out that she carries her books to school in a suitcase with her because her brother and sister will ruin them if she leaves them at home--I knew that part, and I just didn't remember it came from this book. It was so familiar to me. There were a few small flashes of remembrance that I had while reading this book like that. I loved reading this, and I was so pleasantly surprised by how great the story was. It tells the story of one kid, Jeffrey L. Magee, who is an orphan and basically chooses to live homeless, but he doesn't see black and white skins and doesn't seem to understand why people don't like this white kid hanging out on the black side of town. I thought it was a really kid-friendly way of looking at race, and showing how everyone is really similar, even if they just don't know it. I loved how the Beale family was so loving and welcoming to Maniac, and how he manages to find himself a home in so many places because he is happy to make things work and to be a part of any sort of family. I think this is one that Dane will really like soon, as he gets a little bit older.

No comments:

Post a Comment