Monday, March 9, 2020

Small Victories: Spotting Improbable Moments of Grace and Hallelujah Anyway: Rediscovering Mercy by Anne Lamott

I've known of Anne Lamott for years because I've used one of her essays, called "Shitty First Drafts," for my writing class as one of my first reading assignments, to help students feel good about their writing process and how to write. But I haven't read a ton more from her. I decided to listen to these two books of hers, mainly because they were short and available from the library... but I did really enjoy them. I feel like if I had read them, I would have probably gotten more out of them and possibly even marked a few things here or there, but instead I just enjoyed listening to Lamott's funny stories about her childhood and her family and her history. She does a great job at being self-deprecating and making you feel like we're all on the same page, probably all struggling together, and she is really open about what she has struggled with, in her family and in her past. I really liked how open she was and hearing her perspective on Christianity and faith. They were both fun books to listen to, and kind of soothing, but nothing super earth-shattering came out of them for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment