Wednesday, March 18, 2020

On the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder

I just finished reading this one to Graham, and I'm pleased because it only took me a month, instead of much, much longer like the last one. The thing that made the difference was that I bought the audiobooks of these books to listen to in the car. I have never bought audiobooks before, but I decided that I wanted to have the Harry Potter series and the Little House series to own, because the library doesn't have copies that are ever available, so I went ahead and actually joined Audible and got these books. So we have really enjoyed being able to listen to On the Banks of Plum Creek in the car while driving to and from the boys' choir practice. I also did a lot of reading aloud to Graham. This book is just so magical. It has none of the cringe-y racist parts about the Native Americans that Little House on the Prairie does, and just plenty of fascinating stories about their life in Minnesota. The chapter that stood out the most was the one when the grasshoppers came, though. We were listening to it in the car and Dane put down the book he was reading and was entranced. Both boys could not believe what was happening and that it was real. I always remember being fascinated by the story of the grasshoppers as well, and how devastating that all must have been. The other chapter that stands out to me was the Christmas where they got presents off the tree at the church, and Laura got her set of furs. Somehow, Laura Ingalls Wilder has such a way of writing things to seem magical and perfect. I think that's part of the charm of these books--that at the end of each chapter or major storyline, Laura ends up being cozy at home with the firelight dancing and Pa's fiddle singing. Everything resolves itself eventually, every time.

The minute we finished this one tonight, Graham insisted that I immediately start the next one, By the Shores of Silver Lake. I wasn't sure that I was going to read that one, because I remember it seeming like there was a huge gap between Laura being a kid and Laura being basically grown-up in that one. I was planning to read Farmer Boy next. But Graham insisted on Silver Lake next, so off we go, which is fine with me, because I really want to read The Big Winter with them. Farmer Boy will wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment