Thursday, March 26, 2020

The Silver Chair by C. S. Lewis

The boys are seriously enjoying these books and keep begging me to keep reading them. I was not sure how this one would go over, if it would be as exciting to them as The Dawn Treader (which is a pure adventure book if I ever read one), and I wasn't sure if this would get hard to understand or anything. But they absolutely loved it and were begging for more and more. We read several chapters at a time a few times, because they were so excited about it. I had forgotten quite a lot of this story, about Jill and Eustace who are given the task of finding and saving Prince Rilian, who has been kidnapped and enchanted for ten years by a witch who lives in the Underworld, miles below the surface of Narnia. It turned out to be quite a good book--not as much my favorite as the other three we have read, but still super enjoyable. The boys really got a kick out of the character of Puddleglum, with his Debbie Downer attitude about life, and you could just tell they were enthralled with the adventure they were having. I love seeing their imaginations light up and hearing them randomly incorporate things from Narnia into their day. "Mom, Puddleglum always says, 'I shouldn't wonder,' doesn't he?" And randomly yesterday Dane started saying, "For Narnia!" over and over again. It is so great to share these things with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment