Monday, March 2, 2020

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I knew nothing about it at all except for one short positive review from one of the book blogs I follow, and I thought it was just a fantastic, short, fun read. The book is narrated by Ivan, a gorilla who lives in a strip mall and has been there for 30 years, and who begins to realize that he needs more in his life and wants to go to a zoo. I thought the best part of the story is that it was based on a real-life gorilla named Ivan who really lived in a mall and did circus shows. It was funny, poignant, and so sad at times, but I loved Ivan's perspective and how Applegate really wrote and thought like a gorilla might think. I loved how each page was short, there were no super long paragraphs to get through, but I still felt Ivan's emotions through his short thoughts. This was a great, very enjoyable read, one that I want to pass on to Dane and see if he enjoys.

No comments:

Post a Comment