Sunday, March 22, 2020

The Editor by Steven Rowley

This book grabbed me by the premise: a young author finds out his book has been chosen by an editor to be published, and that editor is none other than Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. Basically, I thought that just sounded fascinating and crazy, especially considering that probably actually happened to some people since she worked as an editor for fifteen years after her second husband died. I thought Rowley did a good job portraying Jackie and the way an author might act around her. But I found myself getting bored of the story. Much of it wasn't actually about James and Jackie, which makes sense (because I'm sure that was about as much of a relationship as an editor might have with an author), but I found a lot of the story dragged. I got annoyed with James and him being so wishy-washy and whiny, and with his near-infidelity (I hate those storylines). I also found it a little unbelievable that Jackie would invite this nameless author to her house on Martha's Vineyard and to her home in the city... why would she want to have them come to her home? Maybe I was being a little picky. I thought the overall story was interesting, and I liked the development of James's relationship with his mother, but there were other elements of the story that I didn't love.

No comments:

Post a Comment