Friday, February 14, 2020

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Graham absolutely LOVES these Little House books, and it makes me so happy that he loves them. He was constantly begging me to read another chapter. I finally started using Audible so that I could buy the audiobook versions of the Little House books, and I am so glad that I did! We were able to listen to quite a lot of this book while driving around--every day while we go pick up Dane we were listening to a chapter, and we got through four or five chapters last night while stuck in traffic coming back from the boys' choir. But I HAD to read the chapter where Mr. Edwards meets Santa Claus to them myself, because that is one of my favorite chapters in the whole series. Graham is a huge fan, and we are going to read On the Banks of Plum Creek next. (I love Farmer Boy, but I don't want to lose the momentum of the Ingalls' story, so we'll come back there when we want to.)

We had a lot of really good conversations about Native Americans vs. Indians and why the white settlers were taking the Native Americans' land, and why that wasn't fair, and all sorts of things while reading this book. Although it's a little hard to read some of the less appealing stuff that Wilder wrote about the Native Americans in today's day and age, I would never have had these conversations with my kids without reading this. I think all in all it was positive, so I was able to tell them about how people have treated Native Americans since white settlers first came to America, and how we don't think that's right any more. That was something Meghan Cox Gurdon talked about in her book The Enchanted Hour, and I couldn't agree more.

No comments:

Post a Comment