Tuesday, February 18, 2020

The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo

I didn't really love this book! I've never seen the movie and really had no idea what the story was about, but I've heard the title name so often that it seemed familiar to me. I picked it up and thumbed through it, and saw how wide the spacing and the margins were, and I figured it would take me about an hour to read, so I sped through it. And I did, no problem, but it felt like a chore the whole time. Obviously, that's partly because I am definitely not in the target audience for this book, but I have to wonder how many kids would love this too. I thought the dungeons were creepy and I thought the story about Miggery Sow was super depressing. It didn't feel like enough of a happy story. I did like DiCamillo's funny style of always addressing the Reader directly, and including the reader in the characters' decisions, and I think that would appeal to kids.  I was thinking beforehand that this might be a fun book to read aloud to the kids, but I don't think I will bother with this one after all, when there are so many great options out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment