Sunday, February 23, 2020

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

I of course remember this book from when I was a kid, but I also didn't read it over and over again like I did with many books that I loved--I think because it was too sad. I don't love things that are super sad. So reading it again was almost like a brand new experience to me, except that I knew something super tragic and sad happens (and I think I was confusing this book with Tuck Everlasting, another book I liked from this time period). I loved how Paterson created the character of Jess Aarons, and how she let us get to know him through his running and his attempts to be the best runner in his grade. The first few chapters of him running and being in school on the first day were so real and bright that I could picture being there with him. Once Leslie comes into the picture, I loved seeing how she brings her magic to Jesse's life and shows him how to aspire to things and to be better than he is, even just through his imagination. I thought that was the "message" at the end, although it wasn't at all preachy--it was just Jesse realizing that the way for him to remember Leslie would be to continue doing for his sister what Leslie had done for him, to continue Leslie's magic in the world. Of all the parts in the book, that's where I choked up, at the very end, when Jess is bringing May Belle into Terabithia and giving her this gift of his time and imagination, and lifting her up to be the queen in their imaginary world. Isn't that what every lonely child wants and needs? It was so sweet and beautiful, and that was the most beautiful part of the book to me. Definitely a really, really good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment