Sunday, February 9, 2020

Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse

I found this on the shelf at my parents' house and thought I would read it while I was there. I definitely had read it before, because it came back to me as I read it, but I didn't have any memory of it. I just didn't love it. The story is told in short free verse poems, which made it a quick read, and it was really very descriptive about how hard life was during the Dust Bowl in Oklahoma. The imagery of the dust storms and how dust covered and choked everything was really amazingly done in the poems. It was really well done and beautiful. But I think the crisis of the story is just absolutely too devastating and horrible to really enjoy it for me. I can see why it won the Newbery Award, because it is a fantastic depiction of the time and place, and because Billie Jo is a pretty tough and determined heroine. It definitely has its place.

No comments:

Post a Comment