Sunday, February 9, 2020

Rules of Civility by Amor Towles

I've meant to read this book for forever--I feel like I've seen the cover so many times being recommended by so many people over and over again. But especially since I first listened to A Gentleman in Moscow last year, and loved it so so so much, I wanted to read the other book written by Amor Towles. This book sadly did not live up to the amazingness of A Gentleman in Moscow for me--although it would be hard for most books to do, since that was one of my favorite books I've read ever. But that's not to say that it wasn't a great book--it was still filled with Towles's really beautiful writing, and lots of beautiful thoughts, and the story was pretty engrossing. The story is about Katey Kontent, a girl living in New York City in 1938, and it seemed kind of like a "coming-of-age" story, although she wasn't really coming of age. She was just learning about herself and having lots of experiences that changed her life from being a poorly paid stenographer to being an editor at a fancy magazine, and getting involved in circles with people that were much more rich and fancy and famous than she was. And she falls for a few different men along the way. I liked how Katey always seemed in control of herself, and never seemed like she totally got lost in someone else or their story. She was always able to turn somebody down, any men that were trying to hit on her or people that wanted things for her. All in all, a very engrossing read that was definitely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment