Monday, February 24, 2020

Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel

I really, really liked this audiobook. It was such a fun surprise. Sometimes I get stuck in ruts when it comes to what I'm listening to, and I get tired of everything and I don't know why I bother--and then I get something really great to listen to and get all excited about audiobooks again. I absolutely loved this one, although the premise just sounds so weird and confusing I kept putting off listening to it. But it was definitely worth it! The idea was that there were giant alien-created robot body parts buried deep under the earth, and once one is discovered, scientists begin finding the rest of them and trying to find out what it is for. It's all about how they're assembling a team and stumbling around in the dark, trying to find out whatever they can about this robot that was apparently created six thousand years ago, so it has to have been created by aliens. The reasoning behind it sounded plausible to me (as a total non-scientist) and I thought it was just the right amount of science fiction to be still realistic. The plot was super interesting and although the ending was a little over-dramatic (to me), it definitely didn't take away from my enjoyment of the whole book. I loved each of the characters, and I absolutely loved listening to this one as an audiobook because of the fantastic narrators voicing each person. I think this is one that would have been much less entertaining to read than to listen to, and I felt like each of the narrators did a great job giving a personality to each of the characters. I immediately finished this and jumped right into the sequel, but I am bugged because our library only has a e-book of the third book in this series instead of an audiobook, which is really going to cramp my style. I'll see what I can do, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment