Monday, October 5, 2020

From the Desk of Zoe Washington by Janae Marks

I've had this book on my to-read list for a while, because it sounded so cute and so good. And it definitely was. I read this quickly in one evening because I didn't want to put it down. The story is about Zoe, who receives a letter from her biological dad who is in prison, and her efforts to get to know him through letters, and later, to help him get out of prison for the crime he didn't commit. I loved Zoe's character, how she was super into baking and really committed to developing this skill, and how she was determined to do something about Marcus being in prison once she found out about it. I also really liked how this book addressed racism in policing and the court system in a real mild way, without preaching a ton about it, as Zoe learns about it and has her mind opened up to it along with our readers. And it also addressed Zoe struggling with her relationships with her best friend and her mom, in a realistic way. Definitely a great book I want to have on our shelves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment