Sunday, October 25, 2020

The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I've read a bunch of Kate Morton's novels, but they were all like 6 or 7 years ago. I was trying to find a good book to read for our book club in November, since we haven't had a book club meeting for a long time, and I thought of Kate Morton and decided to try reading her most recent one. I really liked it... until the last 5% of it where everything started to fall together and I was really bugged by how everything ended up. Kate Morton does an amazing job of writing about different timelines and different characters, and in this book she surpassed herself by including a huge number of characters that were all related to the mystery in some way, over 150 years of this story. I really enjoyed the different timelines, although I think it was hard to keep it straight (and I bet if you didn't read it quickly, it would be even harder). My only real complaint is how everything ended--I feel like there wasn't enough detail about the ending of the contemporary storyline (like how did she end with her fiancee?) and Morton didn't answer enough about how the original murder happened in the first place. I should probably write more of my impressions so that I remember everything better for book club, but I don't have the energy to do this right now. Despite the disappointing ending, the rest of the book was good enough that I'm glad I read it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment