Monday, October 26, 2020

More to the Story by Hena Khan

When I heard about this book--a modern retelling of Little Women about a Muslim family in America--I immediately jumped on it. I love Little Women, and I love retellings about different races or backgrounds from the original story. And this did not disappoint. I loved this story about four sisters who are brought together by one sister's illness and how their experiences as Muslims in America inform their lives. I thought they were such a sweet family and I really liked each of the characters. Jameela, the main character, seemed very realistic to me--she made mistakes, had to learn to fix things, but seemed to think very much like a real twelve-year-old. Also, I liked how the storyline of Jo chopping off her hair had a real purpose and a real modern-day counterpart in this story. It worked very well and I loved this adaptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment