Sunday, October 4, 2020

Big Friendship: How We Keep Each Other Close by Aminatou Sow and Ann Friedman

I thought this book was good. That's about as strong of a response I can give to it. I liked a lot about it--the two authors seem fantastic and fun, and I want to be friends with them; I loved their candor and honesty about their experiences in this long-lasting friendship and how they worked to save their friendship when things started to go south; I liked their communal voice and the side jokes they threw in to their writing. But it definitely started to drag after a while. I think I wanted a little more research-based discussion about friendship--that's kind of what I was expecting--but the book seemed to be almost solely about their relationship with a few studies referenced here and there. And maybe I didn't want to read about how their friendship started to sour, and how important it is to save friendships, because maybe that hits a little too close to home with something I'm not very good at. I definitely enjoyed their perspective and it made me want to be better about putting in the effort to prioritize friendship more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment