Monday, December 28, 2020

Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

This book reminded me so much of the book Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier--creepy big house, sketchy people you're staying with, mist and fog everywhere--but had the added bonus of being set in Mexico and with a Mexican protagonist. That made it so much more interesting and appealing! I absolutely loved this story--it was labeled as horror, which made it seem definitely not up my alley, but it was just creepy, not gory or awful. I think the thing that made this book work was the plucky protagonist, Noemi, who travels to visit her newly wed cousin a few hours away from her home in Mexico City, and finds out some really awful, creepy stuff is going on. Noemi is tough and not afraid, even when things start to get really awful, but in a believable way. I really liked her and I started to get worried that things wouldn't work out for her. I was impressed by the author's creativity and how she came up with this idea for the plot; I didn't see the main plot reveal coming. I just wish it hadn't ended exactly the way it did, romantically--I did not want it to end that way. But overall, a pretty darn good book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment