Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know about the People We Don't Know by Malcolm Gladwell

I feel like Gladwell likes to try and turn things on their head to make a point. In this book, he does that, but he does it with some really creepy topics that made me stomach squirm to listen to. I did not like hearing in such explicit detail about the Jerry Sandusky case, about the gymnastics doctor who was convicted of abusing hundreds of gymnasts, and about Brock Turner. Gladwell came dangerously close to trying to exonerate all of them--or at least, to exonerate the people who believed them at the time and took a ton of convincing to believe they were actually guilty of what they were. That was just something I didn't like about this book. I did appreciate his point--that we, as humans, tend to believe rather than doubt, because if we didn't, human communication would not work. And that's why cases like those above take so long to prove. But I wish he had used some less awful cases and spent less time trying to make them seem like they were innocent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment