Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Atomic Habits: An Easy and Proven Way to Build Good Habits and Break Bad Ones by James Clear

I've read several books about habits over the years, mostly including The Power of Habit and Better than Before, and yet I still have habits I'd like to improve. Maybe I should just read all of them at the same time to really make a dent in improving my habits once and for all! But seriously, I think books like this always seem like such a motivator. I really liked this book for how practical and applicable it was. The beginning section was focused on the "why" of improving our habits, and the rest of the book was specific ideas on the "how" to do so. The title "atomic habits" comes from the idea of a tiny atom and how tiny habits can make big changes over time. Some of the quotes and ideas I liked best (that I underlined) in the book were:

  • "Goals are good for setting a direction, but systems are best for making progress... If you are having trouble changing your habits, the problem isn't you, the problem is your system."
  • "The ultimate form of intrinsic motivation is when a habit becomes part of your identity. It's one thing to say I'm the type of person who wants this. It's something very different to say I'm the type of person who is this... Your behaviors are usually a reflection of your identity." 
  • "Your habits are how you embody your identity. Every action you take is a vote for the type of person you wish to become... The most practical way to change who you are is to change what you do." 
A lot of these ideas really stuck out to me and reminded me of my favorite quote from Elder Scott: "We become who we want to be by consistently being who we want to become each day." Our habits are the way we become who we want to be. I love this idea and I love this reminder to improve my daily habits and choices. I had a lot more thoughts but not enough time to write them all down right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment