Wednesday, February 17, 2021

By the Great Horn Spoon! by Sid Fleischman

I loved, loved this book as a kid. But I hadn't read it for probably two decades, and all I remembered about it was that they went around Cape Horn in a ship. I barely even remembered that it was about the California Gold Rush. But I thought it seemed like it would be a great book to read to the boys, and we had SUCH a good time reading this aloud. I absolutely loved reading this with them, and they were totally entranced and begged to keep going every chapter that we stopped at. We actually read probably 8 chapters aloud today, because it was a snow day and everything was canceled and we were stuck at home with nothing else to do. They totally fell in love with Praiseworthy (and so did I), and how he and Jack were so brave and tough and intrepid. This book was also such a great education on the Gold Rush, which was fun for me and them. This was just a total win and I am so glad we read it together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment