Thursday, February 11, 2021

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor

I honestly have no memory of reading this book as a child, and I feel like that was a huge shame. Not meeting Cassie Logan as a kid is such a missed opportunity. I loved Cassie's fiery character and personality, and her decision and determination for justice and fairness, even while growing up Black in the South. I loved the Logan family, and how they were all close and good and hard-working and determined to hold on to their land, even against all odds. Each of the children in the Logan family had such a great, distinctive personality, and I particularly loved Stacey and Little Man. I thought this book had one of the best evidences and explanations of what racism is and why people are racist, for kids to be able to understand, that I've ever come across. The ending was heartbreaking and scary and believable and real all at the same time. I am definitely going to get a copy of this to have on my shelf, and going to read this to my boys sometime when they're ready for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment