Thursday, February 18, 2021

The Summer of the Swans by Betsy Byars

I had never heard of this Newbery winner, and I just picked it off my stack of library books because it was short and I could tell it would only take me a few hours to get through it, haha. It was a surprisingly good--and short--story about a girl entering her teen years and her little brother, who has a disability. When Charlie gets lost by wandering out of the house during the night, Sara knows she has to be the one to find him. I loved how this book was slow and very much about the characters, and I loved how Sara was going through many of the same wild mood swings that any teenager can relate to. Even though it wasn't very long, I found myself rooting for them and hoping that Charlie was found, and that Sara and Joe would find a way to get together. I really enjoyed it, but I don't know that this is one that most kids would want to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment