Monday, August 15, 2022

I Guess I Haven't Learned That Yet by Shauna Niequist

I'm discovering that there is a whole genre of Christian self-help authors that I don't know anything about. I think of Jen Hatmaker as the prime example, and there are a whole bunch of women who orbit around her and do very similar things (although maybe they're all orbiting together and I just know of Jen Hatmaker the best, I don't know). Over the years, I keep accidentally reading books that I think are just books of essays or memoirs and then realizing that they belong to this elite club of Christian female speakers who all know each other and do the same thing. This was one of those times. I actually really like it and enjoy their books, but it's always surprising how many of them are basically doing the same thing. I had never heard of Shauna Niequist, but she apparently had some big drama in her family and the church her father ran, which she kept alluding to cryptically in her book, and which I of course had to google. But I'd never heard about it so that wasn't part of the draw for this book. I liked her essays about what she learned from moving to NYC from her hometown after living there all her life, and about parenting boys and learning from mistakes and stuff. The main title of the book is a great reminder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment