Friday, August 26, 2022

We Were Dreamers: A Superhero Immigrant Story by Simu Liu

I honestly have no idea why I decided to check this book out--I'm not a big Marvel person, but I did really like Simu Liu in Shang-Chi and I have really had an interest in Asian stories lately. I was really surprised by Liu's openness about his experience as a Chinese-Canadian immigrant and what he dealt with in relation to his parents. It was definitely a hard childhood with extremely high expectations, and I couldn't help but think about all of the Asian kids I went to high school with, at a similar time as Liu, and wonder how extreme some of their lives were while we were in high school. He was super open and shared stories that I would have been tempted to gloss over. And I loved how he talked about his grandparents, and how his voice got choked up multiple times as he talked about them. He seems like someone I would like to be friends with in another life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment