Sunday, August 14, 2022

Where the Rhythm Takes You by Sarah Dass

I saw this one described as a Caribbean-inspired retelling of Persuasion, and I was all in. I am a sucker for a Jane Austen re-telling, obviously. In this one, the setting was the biggest draw, and I loved the details of what it was like living on Trinidad (or Tobago? I can't remember which one?). I felt like the story dragged a lot though, and I didn't feel the same sort of connection to Reyna that I do to Anne in Persuasion. I also felt like her love interest, Aiden (and his name feels way too white boy to fit in this story also), was just boring and not very nice most of the time... but maybe that fits with the original story. It took me longer than it should have to get through this book because I didn't really want to pick it up much, but it was still cute. 

No comments:

Post a Comment