Friday, December 27, 2019

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

I hated the premise of this book, but got far enough in that I wanted to finish it. If I had really known what it was going to be about, I probably wouldn't have listened to it. It's basically the story of an affair from the perspective of the "other woman." And I hate stories about people cheating and infidelity... so this really wasn't one that was up my alley. The story is about Rachel, who sleeps with her best friend's fiance one night when they are both drunk, and then continues the affair because she realizes she has feelings for him. The story was supposed to be rationalizing this affair and making it seem okay (it reminded me that line from The Office where Pam says, "I guess affairs look different to the people inside them"). But it really just made me think of how spineless and unprincipled Rachel was. Giffin made Darcy, Rachel's best friend, seem worse and worse throughout the book, to the point of her being almost completely unbelievable that people are really that selfish and self-centered. I felt totally unsympathetic to Rachel's sad "Will he ever dump Darcy and be with me?" whining and plight, and super annoyed by her unbelievable passivity throughout the whole thing. She refused to ever ask Dex what he was going to do. And I absolutely hated Dex trying to stay with both women the whole time. No matter how Rachel justified it, that was completely sleazy and unjustifiable. So basically I didn't like any of the characters or any of their motivations. The book was well-written, but I hated the story so much that it didn't even matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment