Thursday, December 26, 2019

The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street by Karina Yan Glaser

I've heard so much about this book from various sources, and I kept putting off reading it because I kind of wanted to read it aloud to the boys. However, my read-alouds with the boys have died off a little when I got so sick at the beginning of my pregnancy, and I have so many books I want to read to them, that I decided I wasn't going to wait to read this one on my own. I read it in a couple of hours right before Christmas--which was one of the days in which this book is set--and it was a very cute, adorable family story. It definitely was reminiscent of the Penderwicks family, with five children who all love each other and aren't perfect, but have good intentions and very distinctive personalities. I love happy family stories, and this is one of them. I also really liked how Glaser made their neighborhood in Harlem seem like a small town, where everybody knows everybody, and it made me want to be more like the Vanderbeekers who are friendly and know everyone. I hope Dane will read this one sometime--it is a little above his reading level now, but will be a great one soon. Overall, definitely worth a read and a very cute addition to our bookshelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment