Friday, December 27, 2019

The Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

I haven't done much to add to my goal of reading all the Newbery award winners the last six months. And this is one of them that I'd technically already read! But I hadn't read it for maybe 20 years, and I didn't feel like it actually counted if I couldn't remember anything about the book. This was one that I actually really enjoyed, and I kept thinking that Dane would really like it too (maybe in another year--it might be a little above his reading level still). It's basically a much more enjoyable and readable Robinson Crusoe about a young girl who gets left on an island on her own for almost two decades. And the most exciting thing about this story is that it's based on a real historical event, a real woman who was abandoned on an island off the coast of California for that length of time. After I finished this book I started reading on Wikipedia about the real woman and the Channel Islands and I was just fascinated. This was a really good read and I'm glad I re-read it. Well worth it (plus it only took me about two hours).

No comments:

Post a Comment