Thursday, December 5, 2019

Waiting for Tom Hanks by Kerry Winfrey

I liked a lot of this book. It's about Annie, a girl who wants her life to be a romantic comedy, and how she won't settle for anyone who's any less romantic than Tom Hanks is in her favorite movies. I have to say that I did love all the references to rom-coms throughout this book. But the whole romance in this book kind of fell flat. It wasn't believable at all to me. A rom-com, exactly like those Annie is obsessed with, is starting to get filmed minutes away from her house, and she gets to work on the set because her uncle knows the director--of course! And then the main actor in it turns out to be the love of her life, even though she is convinced he's a jerk even though it's totally obvious that he's nice even though she's determined to take things the wrong way--of course! And he just falls in love with her at first sight, even though there's not much evidence as to why someone would do that. It all felt very contrived, especially the ending. My favorite part of this book was the scenes between Chloe and Nick, Annie's best friend and her boss at the coffee shop where they work. I would actually read the sequel, which is supposedly coming out next year, because it's about Chloe and Nick, and I want to see their relationship get resolved.

Although I just bashed on this book a bit, it was still a fun, mindless way to spend an evening. I didn't mind it too much while I was in the middle of it, it was just once I finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment