Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer

I listened to this audiobook, which I don't remember putting onto my "to-read" list for any specific reason. It ended up being relatively interesting, about our memories, how we remember things, and especially about the competitive memory circuit and how people are able to memorize an entire deck of cards in under thirty seconds or to remember hundreds of random digits in order. I thought it was interesting that they used the idea of the "memory palace," imagining things being in a specific location in your brain where you can go back and pick it up whenever you want to recover it. This memory palace idea is one that we'd just seen while watching several episodes of the BBC's Sherlock, so I thought it was super interesting to see how that actually works in real life, and to learn how it was a process developed in antiquity and is still used by memory champions today. I don't think I would ever be interested in using those techniques--they were super weird and funny, and I can't see how they would help me in my everyday life--but it was fascinating to learn about.

No comments:

Post a Comment