Friday, June 19, 2020

The Dutch House by Ann Patchett

I've checked this book out from the library at least four times and never got around to reading it. I checked it out as a hard copy, as an e-book, and as an audiobook. And it never caught my fancy enough for me to want to read it... until I finally heard so many great reviews of it that I went ahead and listened to it (because Tom Hanks was the narrator, which made it just that much more appealing). And it was great. It was totally worth it. It is the story of a family growing up in this house, and spans maybe five decades from when the main character is a child, until he is a middle-aged man. You see his family together, then falling apart, then falling apart even more, and then slowly being found in different ways again. It's the story of a family, and their house, and the house is almost a character, a member of their family, and it represents everything the son and daughter have loved and lost and found. I thought this book was fantastic (I should have known, I've always loved what Ann Patchett does), and I'm glad to have finally read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment