Sunday, June 7, 2020

The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton

I've heard about this book for a year or so and kept meaning to get to it--and finally did with all this extra time for reading that I have while nursing. This is a crazy time-traveling murder mystery, where the narrator has to re-live the same day eight times in a row to solve a murder--from the different perspectives of eight different witnesses to the murder. He literally wakes up in a different body each day and has to use their perspectives to gain more clues to the murder. The story was totally unique and the mystery got more and more interesting as the book went on. But I felt like I was confused the whole time, and I didn't like that about this book. It makes sense, because the narrator is confused and doesn't understand, and doesn't have any information about what's going on either--but I felt totally lost and never really understood the implications of all of the clues the narrator kept gathering. I just didn't like the total confusion about it, even though the story itself was great and I'm very impressed by how he was able to keep it all straight and write this whole book without getting lost himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment