Tuesday, August 6, 2019

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare

I am making good progress on my goal to read a few Shakespeare plays this year. I finished this one last week and am just getting around to writing about it. I loved how many memorable, oft-quoted lines were in this play, particularly "The true course of love never did run smooth" and "Though she be but little, she is fierce" (which I always think of with Lucy in mind). And, "Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind / And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind." I thought this play was funny, cute, and really enjoyable to read. I thought the last act was not a great ending to the play, though--it seems like something that actors/playwrights would think was funny but not the audience. I wanted more drama from the forest with the lovers instead.

I feel silly having only about 8 sentences to say about a Shakespeare play and basically concluding "I liked it" and that's it, but I don't have the brainpower or time right now to write much more. So, I liked it!

No comments:

Post a Comment