Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare

I wish I had more mental power or energy or time to analyze and write about all these Shakespeare plays I've been reading (all three of them, haha)--it feels cheap to review them with a number of stars and a one-paragraph summary of what I thought about them. All I can say for now is that I really liked reading this. It definitely raised a lot of thoughts about men and women and romance, with all these misconceptions about who Viola was and who was falling in love with whom, and I'm sure I could have written a huge essay about this years ago in college. But for now, I'll just say that I didn't realize the quote "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them" came from this play, and that it is read in a comic situation and has an ironic twist being read by Malvolio. It gives a whole different meaning to the quote, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment