Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin

I read this for my book club, and I feel like this book would be a great one to read with the kids. I liked it enough for myself, but I think they would really like it. The story is about Minli, a young girl in China, who goes to find the Old Man in the Moon to ask how she can change her fortune for her poor, struggling family. She has to go on a journey to get to his mountain, and has all sorts of adventures along the way. The message of the book is that she and her family learns to be content and thankful for what they have, and once they have learned that, their fortunes also change for the better.

The story is sprinkled with all sorts of Chinese stories and legends, and Lin's writing is sparse yet beautiful in a way that seems fitting for the style of this story. I really liked how quickly-moving the story was, and how it only took me a few hours to read, but how sweet and simple it was as well. I definitely plan to read this with the kids sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment